Sunday 14 August 2011

My Top 10 Video Game Songs (...of games that I played)

I was going to do this as a full video, but this should work just as well. And besides, the video won't be particularly spectacular and I want to show the music in it's entirity and saying why I like it...without risk of getting nailed by copyright (other people can do it for me ^^').

This is a list of the top 10 video game music tracks of games that I've played (meaning that there are still songs I like without having contact with the game...meaning a crapload of awesome Nintendo games that I have yet to sink my teeth into). I mostly put that disclaimer to keep people from bitching about how I shouldn't have chosen some song from a game I've never heard of or played as well as to narrow down my own choices. This will count both vocal and music only tracks, one track for a franchise and must be at least 1:00 in length. Mind you I'm not the biggest buff of games out there, but I still have some good ones here even for games that I haven't played for a long time.

(oh, and there may be spoilers and foul language)







#10 "Overworld Theme" from The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (and various other Zelda games)
Ah Zelda music. I love so many tracks from the Zelda franchise, but seeing as I've only played 4 of them (Link To The Past, Ocarina Of Time, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks) my selection was limted a little more. Ocarina Of Time had some great music but when I think Zelda, I think this general theme. I've come to find it as an ultimate hero theme. A theme you want playing behind you as you go on a quest. It's a really basic theme, but as I admire the franchise from afar I've always seen it as the track that summed up the feeling of exploration, fantasy, heroism, and adventure.

Honourable Mention: "Hyrule Field Theme" from The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

 #9 "One-Winged Angel" (FFVII version) from Final Fantasy VII
I'M WEAK! I'M SORRY! I REALLY AM! If you know video games or game music, odds are you've at least HEARD of One-Winged Angel, Sephiroth's boss theme. Opinions of Sephiroth and his theme are somewhat polar. Many think it's the most over-rated/played/remixed piece of shit ever, and many think that it was graced by the heavens. Like it or not, Sephiroth and OWA (and maybe FFVII too) are to be respected at least a little bit. I do really like them, though I do put many songs over it. . I've done some reading on Kefka and Dancing Mad and they are the more interesting pieces of work compared to this, but I have yet to get my hands on FFVI so that doesn't count. Nyah. I'll admit that Sephiroth's difficulty (unless you either grind like hell or are Jesus) does sort of spoil the song with multiple repeats, but the first time you hear it man does it feel good. It still somehow manages to keep the atmosphere and tension of the fight. In 2010, I beat Sephiroth 4 times (once in FFVII @ Lvl 62 without KOR, Kingdom Hearts @ Lvl 82, and KH2 in normal and proud modes also at Lvl 82), and that feels good too.
(One-Winged Angel has been remixed many times through Advent Children, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts, etc, though I find this to have the best flow and sound)
Honorable Mention: "Aerith's Theme" from Final Fantasy VII (ok, so VII is the only FF I've played if you don't count KH)


#8 "Sloprano (aka The Great Mighty Poo song)" from Conker's Bad Fur Day
YES, THIS COUNTS AS A SONG! Conker's Bad Fur Day is amazing, and this iconic scene from the game is a perfect example of what to expect. If you can watch this without going into a fit trying to process everything, you're set. I don't know what else to say. Just...watch the video. Even better, maybe play the game.

Honourable Mention: "Surf Punks" from Conker's Bad Fur Day

 #7 "Calling" from The World Ends With You
By all means, I shouldn't like this song. I rarely like catchy, dancable, repetitive pop songs. In fact, I found it pretty annoying in game with the catchyness appearing EVERYWHERE when I was trying to concentrate at the level of wtf in the game. But just sitting back and listening to it by itself, it's less annoying and really reminds me of the style and atmosphere of the game. I don't understand this either, but whatever. TWEWY has a great soundtrack.

Honourable Mention: "Someday (Japanese Version)" from The World Ends With You

 #6 "Fireworks Factory" from Spyro 3: Year Of The Dragon
Oh you knew Spyro was going to make an appearance. Spyro music is bright (...usually. See honourable mention for an exception) and catchy, and this seems to be the fan favourite. Spyro 3 is rather polar on the music front with me. It contains my favourite track yet it also contains some of my most hated ones in the franchise. As a level Fireworks Factory is one of my least liked too (it's just so huge and I hate Agent 9's level), but this music somewhat redeems it. Just a great theme when you're running around blowing up stuff and running down Rhynoc ninjas.

Honourable Mention: "Magma Cone" from Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

#5 "Escape From The City" from Sonic Adventure 2
This is actually the only SA2 level I played, but man it's a good one. Sonic may not be as healthy in 3D as other jumps, but at least you can admit that even the bad Sonic games had good music (not saying SA2 is bad though). To represent Sonic here is "Escape From The City". Listening to this song as you board down a city street at high speeds feels REALLY good. Actually, it pretty much sums of the feelings I get when I played Sonic even in 2D. Fast, bright, and a lot of fun. Oh, and that bass makes me melt.

Honourable Mention: "Chemical Plant Zone" from Sonic 2

 #4 "Still Alive" from Portal
If it was in any other game, this song wouldn't be as good. But where it as at the end of Portal, it brings a satisfying wrap-up after spending so much time with that batshit insane computer, GLaDOS. She subjected you to courses that have you teetering towards your death, tries to toss you into a fire and gun you down, guilts you, and has such childish insults. After that climactic final battle, the building is destroyed, and you're practically dead. And you know what? GLaDOS is not only still alive, but feels so good that she SINGS an adorable little song about how happy she is and how everything was a huge success. Smug machine. I would explain more, but this description kind of does it for me. It's just so...GLaDOS.

Honourable Mention: "Four Part Plan" from Portal 2

#3 "Champion Lance and Red Battle Theme" from Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
OH GOD THE NOSTALGIA! The 2nd generation of Pokemon I consider to be the best of the franchise. Pokemon is full of nostalgic gems, but the theme for Lance and Red has to be THE most epic battle theme out of all of the generations. First, the champion is always there to dash your dreams of being on top and he won't let you walk all over him. Blue's theme was good, but this was one step above. Also, Lance is just so much cooler (and it was nice to see him get a promotion after the first game. Good for him). As for Red, the battle is again among the finest in the franchise. You're essentially facing yourself from 3 years ago (or at least the canon version of yourself) AND he borrows Lance's theme. Man, I remember when I beat these two guys. It felt AMAZING.


Honourable Mention: "Lavender Town Theme" from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, and just here because no one talks about the sweet music from this spin-off, "Club Master Duel Theme" from The Pokemon Trading Card Game
#2 "Ryoshima Coast" from Okami
It was between this and "Rising Sun". Both are great, but you really feel this one when you're dashing at top speeds through the coastline. It's a beautiful track that really makes you feel the sea breeze and the tides coming to shore. Not to mention the triumphant feel to exploring a new wonderful land unlocked after defeating Orochi. It's almost like Shinshu Field's track, except better. This recording shown is actually a combination of both variations of "Ryoshima Coast", but the second half is when it really starts hitting you.

Honourable Mention: "Rising Sun" from Okami

#1 "The Demise Of The Ritual" from Shadow Of The Colossus
To be honest, any track from the game could've been a candidate. Boss tracks are among the best in a game, and this game's music was almost exclusively reserved the 16 "boss" battles. I was close to putting "Counterattack" or "The Opened Way" (or even the prologue track for how it sucks you into the beautiful intro) but then I looked to this one. Many tracks are fast paced and loud to set you up for subduing 100-foot tall giants. Climbing, running, jumping, flying, hunting, the music was part of the experience almost as much as the colossi themselves. This one, from the final colossus, is different. Instead of pumping you up as someone riding into battle, this is a song that leads you to "the end" to put simply. You're tired and beaten, you killed 15 mostly innocent creatures for a dead woman, worn down from your travels, your horse just sacrificed himself so you can get this far, all of that leading to this final battle with a behemoth in the rain. Your journey has come to this, and there isn't any way you'll stop here now. The final colossus isn't among my favourites, but it's the SET-UP that makes him special and a simply unreal experience. You might not get the full experience of this track without playing the entire game first. Seriously, if you have a PS2 or 3, just play it.

Honourable Mention: Oh fuck this. I'll give you 3! "The Opened Way" and "Counterattack" from Shadow Of The Colossus, "You Were There" from Ico
So there we have it. Those are my top 10 music tracks...from games that I've played. Maybe I'll make a short list of some tracks that I picked up from here and there. But let's just keep it at that, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment